Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The adventure to ALASKA!

The first day we drove to Seattle, Washington and spent the day there with my brother and his new wife and also met up with one of our good friends. We went down to pikes market and saw all the cool stuff people make. There is alot of talent at that market. We even scored on a gluten free bakery for Shandeigh. She was super excited about that. I totally forgot my camera that day also. ugh! They also had the fish market where all these fish are on ice that you can buy, as we were standing there they had this fish that came out and scared you if you were standing by it. We were right there and Quinn literally tried jumping out of his stroller. We had to leave because he was screaming at the top of his lungs. It was quite entertaining. We had lots of fun in Seattle and the next day was the journey to the longest drive ever. We drove to the border of Canada and they would not let my hubby take his pistol into Canada, so he had to go find a place in Washington that would take guns for you until you could figure out a way to get it to you. The funny thing is that he had a rifle also and they did not even care about that. Yeah was not very happy. It took us like half the day to get that mess worked out. It all worked out though and the gun is still in Washington. Our good friend picked it up for us and now we just have to figure out how to get it to Alaska. The whole trip was pretty much mountains and lakes the whole way. There would be a small little town about every 300-400 miles. It took us about a week to get there. I only got like four big huge rock chips and a crack at the bottom of my windshield. Lets just say that Canada roads do not have many road signs saying when there is gravel on the road and there was alot of it. Thank goodness for insurance so that my windshield can be replaced. We figured out that it cost us over 4.00 a gallon for gas also in Canada. My mom and I had fun trying to figure out all the conversions on money and miles and speed limits. We found a cool little conversion thing on her cell phone, so that came in handy. All I can say is I am proud to be an American and I hope we will always continue to be a free country.

One of the many beautiful lakes.

This was just a whole bunch of signs that they nailed to posts. It was kind of cool.

Check out the mountains. Yes it was like this all through Canada

Yep its another lake.

Look we finally made it to Alaska. My kids were dang excited!
It is late and I can't figure out how to space the last three pictures so I will just tell you what they are. The first is the front of our house that we are living in. The second is the side of our house. The third is our backyard. It like living in a forest here.
Shandeigh said that she saw a moose the other day at the school here on base on her way to school off base. She said that the moose looked like it was going to school. She got a kick out of it. I have not got to see a moose on the base yet, but am looking forward to seeing one. Everyone talks about how you see moose all the time. Well its late and I have more pictures from when we went to North Pole and saw Santa and his reindeer. I will do another post about that some other time. Enjoy the short video I also put on here of the pretty lake.

8 comments:

Shalae said...

Glad you made it there safely! It sure it beautiful! HOpe you are settling in nicely!

Rochelle Brunson said...

Glad you guys made it!

Leslie Anderson said...

did you drive through B.C. I grew up in Alberta right next to those mountains and loved it but i relized this summer while i was visiting home how expensive it is to live up there. Expecially B.C where the tax is 14% glad you made it safe.
Leslie

Bunnell's said...

oh Amber I miss you! I can not believe how pretty:) Post more I love to see what the base and your house looks like. How are the kids settling in at school?~

Busy Lady said...

I love it that you turned your move into an adventure. How fun!! It looks like Alaska is a beautiful place to live. I hope you love it. We miss you!!

Rands Family said...

sounds like you had fun getting to your next home. You can check out my blog at www.randsfamily-blog.blogspot.com I will keep looking at your blog so we can keep in touch.

Rands Family said...

How did you get that song to be on your music?

Amber said...

Nikki. I will do another post about school later. They are really loving it right now. We will see if they are still enjoying it once it gets later on in the year.

Brooke I found it on www.playlist.com